Monday, May 7, 2007

Online Applications and Tools

ONLINE SOFTWARE:

Think it's a good idea. Probably wouldn't want to use it personally, given any other option. The collaberative functions might be more helpful under certain circumstances.

Google Trial:

TITLE

Well, Here's an attempt to see how I like Google's online word processor. Hmmmmm. So far so good, except I have to be content with Tahoma instead of Arial.

And now an attempt at an indented paragraph, which I use quite a bit. la di da di da di da, la di da di la di da....... Not sure I would want my personal financial spread sheets or letters or journal entries stored on a server somewhere though.

Well, that indent worked fairly well, though the spacing seems off-- much too large. Does the dotted line around the paragraph show up when you print? Yes, it does. Don't like that. I like formatting appearance control too much to want to give it up.

Zoho Trial:

TITLE

Well, Here's an attempt to see how I like Zoho's onlline word processor. Hmmmmmmm. So far so good, and I don't have to be content with tahoma. There are more font choices, and they include arial. Yay!

And now an attempt at an indented paragraph, which I use quite a bit. la di da di da di da, la di da di la di da..... Not sure I would want my personal financial spread sheets or letters or journal entries or schedules stored on a server somewhere though.

Well, that indent worked better than the Google one, although the spacing is still large. But no dotted line around the paragraph. If google offers spell check, it's not readily apparent, which seems odd, given their web spell check feature. Think it's funny that Zoho thinks "Google" is a spelling error! :)

GOOGLE LABS:

Tried out "Local Voice Search", "Transit", and "Trends". I liked voice better than the regular 411 service-- definitely faster. I would have to compare the transit results with those from KCLS Metro on a number of trips before I would have any real sense of which (if either) is more user friendly, more reliable, etc... what, if anything, Google offers that improves upon Metro. Trends gave me virtually the same result for everything I tried looking up, and compared to trends graphs I am used to seeing elsewhere, was neither fine-grained enough, or over a long enough time span to be of much use. I did get the impression that everything I was interested in was declining in interest for the population as a whole. Guess I'm behind the times.

WEB 2.0 AWARDS:

Mostly not very iteresting or useful. Think I might register on www.linkedin.com. Who knows?

No comments: