Monday, April 9, 2007

RSS Feeds

STEP #7

I think it's too soon yet for me to tell how I'll like the feed thing. In theory it sounds good. (I sure love the KCLS book alerts, which are a bit similar.) I was frustrated by finding that many sites and newsletters I tried out did not have RSS feeds (although sometimes they are hiding in strange places). I'm guessing that if it does not have to be subscribed to on the site itself, that it would still work by pasting in the URL, and that you could still only see what you haven't previously "read" (i.e. "new" stuff), but that if you have to subscribe, it wouldn't. Is this assessment correct? I also anticipate frustration when I have to use my snail-paced dialup internet service to look at all the cool feeds I did discover! I was pleased to find book review sources among these. Maybe I'll finally stay up to date on those reviews!

STEP #8

In addition to "cheating" and subscribing to librarian.net, I came up with the following library related feeds by using the bloglines search tool: Combined library job postings, Librarian's Internet Index, and Library Link of the day. I found the feedster categories useful, but only to the extent that they had a category that I wanted. A search returned generic cut and paste search term ads and articles, only some of which appeared at all related to the search terms entered, and the site names did not seem at all search-term specific. Syndic8 also returned some rather confusing results. I thought Google was very straight-forward.

1 comment:

Snoodle said...

marty, i agree that it's disappointing when you like a website, but it doesn't seem to publish an rss feed. i'm glad that more and more sites are doing so, though.