Saturday, April 14, 2007

On Second Thought...

Social networking sounded good in theory. But as of today, I have had it with myspace. Everytime I attempt to do anything, it tells me to log in (even though I am already) and then tells me to verify my email address (which I have now done about a dozen times). After I do that, it says I will now be able to do things I couldn't before, but I still cannot add friends. The ones whose emails I entered when originally setting up the account (which I later learned I was supposed to skip) worked, but none have since. The find a friend search yields a null result set even for the the 27things account, or for friends that are already linked to my account! I could not even successfully respond to the invite from one of our advocates. GRRRR!!!! It remains to be seen if I will be able to respond to the 27 things invitation when I get it. I'm not hopeful.

And then there's the matter of layouts. I have spent hours in a vain attempt to find one I like completely, and could spend hours more tweaking the closest approximation to get it up to my standards. Forget it! And why does my basic info display not match what I entered in the form? In my opinion, the whole thing is too unweildy and unreliable to be worth the effort.

P.S. I just noticed that there is an RSS folder in my KCLS Webmail account. How would I get those feeds I subscribed to through bloglines to show up in Webmail instead (not that I would necessarily want to, but maybe some of the library related ones...)?

1 comment:

Yorick said...

It sounds like you may have had security issues blocking your ability to log in and stuff. That is, your browser and / or your security software may not have been accepting cookies from myspace. I know on my desktop computer at home I cannot log into myspace. But since I can on my laptop, I just leave the desktop set as it is.

The FAQ about "not able to login to Databases at home" on the KCLS.org webpage is helpful not only for database access, but also for downloadable audiobooks and I think, now, Myspace access.